Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Gates in the latter stages of their lives.


So, to freshen up my project a little I went for a walk around the city to see what would take my eye and I found this lovely big old abandoned house. The colour of it piqued my curiosity first and then when I crossed over to the other side of the road I noticed the pretty large broken down gates looking as though they were in some kind of extreme torment or that they were in the throws of dementia or lunacy. Who knows? Whatever the matter they were very interesting looking to me and when I got back to looking through the photos at home, I had the urge to explore these two characters.  



Like some sort of conjoined roadside freakshow. 



-Where does it hurt chief?
-INSIDE!?
-Ya, not much we can do for you I'm afraid, just stay still and I'll paint ya! 

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.  Is he if he's nuts?

I was making this piece as a full size door covering for our studio.  Painting and detail to be done later.
There are several differences in the depth of the layers in this piece, from six down to one. The cutting on this was pretty repetitive.

Here they in an unfinished state where the detail on the eyes is to be finished and the chicken wire is to be added.


So, I've been under the influence of cardboard recently.


On a break I find this redundant umbrella in the bin all broken and at the end of its' purposed road, and I started to take it out for the material initially but took the metal bits back with me to experiment with.

At this point the chickenwire grill on the gate is done, and this medium is about to take over, with all its' sharp pointy stabby loveliness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment